Gwambygine Homestead – Historical Site

IMG_4093 small

Gwambygine Homestead

Gwambygine Homestead is one of the earliest colonial buildings still remaining in Western Australia. Built in 1836 by the sons of Rev.JB Wittenoom and Thomas Carter an early settler from Norfolk, the homestead was built on the banks of the Avon River on 5000 acres of land granted to Wittenoom by Governor Stirling.

Until the death of the previous owner, Merton Clifton, the house was the oldest continuously occupied house in Western Australia. After Mr Clifton’s death the homestead progressively deteriorated due to white ant and water damage.

In 2009 with support from the Royal WA Historical Society and the York Society, the River Conservation Society applied for Federal Heritage Funding to conserve and restore the building.

greenline
homestead page both photos